Sunday, February 19, 2006

Alpaca Farms


No Brakes!
Originally uploaded by Walnut Creek Alpacas.
I saw this picture of an alpaca and it made me think about alpaca yarn. The two don't seem connected, because I haven't seen the fur turned into yarn. It's interesting to see the actual animals that our products come from, since most people probably never see the animals or are connected with them. I remember seeing someone spinning or carding wool at an historical farm when I was a kid, but that's the only time I think I saw an animal's fur being processed, or even an actual sheep, for that matter. The whole process seemed antiquated, and I didn't really think about where the whole came from now, at least at the time. It would be interesting to see a yarn factory, and see how it's processed now. It's probably something I wouldn't want to see, however, and would make me want to only buy yarn from organic farms.

No comments: