Friday, November 25, 2005

Buy Nothing Day













Today is Buy Nothing Day, which is to counter the holiday consumerism. I don't really get why today is supposed to be such a big shopping day. I wonder when it happened, that you're supposed to go out and buy a bunch of presents today. I don't like the whole consumerist part of Christmas. The idea of giving people small gifts seems good, but now it just seems to be a consumerist frenzy. The whole period around Christmas doesn't seem much different from other times, people are just buying more presents than they do normally. People buy tvs, electronics, and whatever during the rest of the year, and now they just buy more of them.

It would be different if they saved up to buy things during this time of year, and it became something special, because you wouldn't get nice things, except for one time a year. But people are getting those same things all year round, they just get more piled on top of it. I just think people have an overconsumption problem, where they have too much. It reminds me of the last Christmas I spent with my family, and there was this little girl there, who was related by marriage or something. I had never met her before. But, the amount of presents she got was ridiculous. When she opened them, she just tossed them aside and just went on to the next one. She had so many, it was like nothing was good enough, and she just wanted to know what was next. I guess most kids are like that, or can get spoiled like that, but it isn't good, and I think people should try to control their consumption of products.

No comments: