Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Machine

I got my first sewing machine a couple of days ago, and am learning how to use it. I think it's from the 1960's, but it works well so far. I've only used one other sewing machine, which probably from the 1950's, since it weighed about 60 pounds or something. I eventually want to use it to make art quilts, but I'm trying to make really simple stuff right now. I wanted to get a really fancy one with lots of stitches, but I don't think I need that. It's hard enough just trying understand how to use it, and getting the stitches to be straight. I never seem to cut the fabric exactly, then the seams are uneven. Hopefully it won't take too long to get better at it. I really like the art quilts that I've seen. They almost look like paintings or collages. I don't understand how they put them together, though, and how everything looks so even. I think I might just make a simple quilts with squares or triangles to start with. That might be difficult enough at this point.

1 comment:

arlee said...

One of the beauties of artquilts is that anything goes! You don't HAVE to have perfect seams---use the flaws to your advantage--it can become your "style"----practice with paper and an unthreaded needle if ya really wannna whiz through the first learning steps :}A machine is only a tool and you're smarter than it is-----and old is just as good as new for the most part!