Saturday, May 27, 2006

Granny Square Afghan

Here are the granny squares I've made so far. I like these because they are instant gratification. I'll have to make twenty or thirty for an afghan, so it will take a while. All my other projects are just sitting there and I feel uninspired to work on them. None are close to being done, and it feels like I've been working on them for a long time now, with not much progress, so it's frustrating. I've been taking time off from knitting, and working on paintings more often.
These squares are the basic granny squares. I thought of making different types, but they didn't really work well together. They turned out to be a different shape than rectangular, so it didn't look cohesive. I thought about keeping it more simple, then adding a few really different looking squares diagonally. These are done with Bernat Softee Chunky, which is extremely cheap, but is good to work with. I've seem patterns for afghans that uses really expensive yarn, so the thing ends up costing over a hundred dollars, and you'd have to dry clean it. I don't really get that, since it is a blanket that's meant to be used.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I liked seeing your granny squares. I'm doing a granny sq. afghan too, to give as a present - about 53 squares finished so far. I think I need another 30 or so.

I like the instant gratification too. And they're so quick to do.

Good luck!
Carol