Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Biodiesel Fuels

I’ve been finding out about biodiesel fuel for cars. Apparently, there are regular pumping stations in my area, where you could get 100%, 80%, or 20% biodiesel, mixed with different amounts of regular diesel. I didn’t know that was available already. Biodiesel is made from vegetable oil, and you can mix it with regular diesel at any percentage. It is clean burning, and around here, costs $3.00 a gallon, compared with $2.65 for gasoline. The only problem is that it only works for diesel engines. I don’t know if you can convert a gasoline engine to a diesel. You probably can, but it would be expensive.
The gas prices seem to be increasing every week now, and I’ve read that they are going to keep going up, due to the storm on the eastern coast. The government is releasing some oil reserves to make gas cheaper, but it won’t affect prices for a while. Part of me is glad, because I want people to reduce their dependence on cars, and increasing prices seem to be the only way. But, now that I have a car, I want the prices to get cheaper too. That’s why I wish I could afford to either convert my engine to a diesel, or that I could have a hybrid car.

No comments: