Saturday, August 20, 2005

Meaningful Art, or just Kitsch?


This is one of my more realistic paintings. I like to do them, so I can practice technique. But if I work on them too much, I start to feel like I'm not expressing anything meaningful. I've seen paintings where the artist has done an extremely detailed still-life of say, a table set for breakfast, and it looks really well done, but then so what. It doesn't create any dialogue, or change how I feel about the world or society. I don't feel like I understand the artist more, except that they like a nice table setting.
I guess every piece of art doesn't have to set the world on fire, maybe sometimes a picture of a table or a bowl of fruit reminds you of your childhood or moment in time during a vacation or whatever. But for me, I want to do work that makes people feel something, or think differently about themselves or the world. That is much harder to do, though, since you have to come up with an idea, then find a way to execute it that is nonconformist, or totally shocking. I don' t feel that I've done anything like that yet, but that is my goal. Pieces like this rose are a stepping stone to creating something more profound.

No comments: