Friday, August 26, 2005

Into the Oblivion


I painted this in acrylics on canvas. I wanted to give the impression of looking off into a horizon that was unseen, like a future that's hidden and possibly dangerous. I mostly painted this without thinking too much about what I would do next. I find that my stuff turns out better sometimes if I just start painting and see what happens. Otherwise I may get something that looks cliched, or like I spent hours laboring over it. I think with this painting, I should have thought it out a little more. It would look better in a horizontal format, so you could see more of where the figure is standing.
It is harder for me to paint completely spontaneously, from my imagination. If I paint a still-life, I know what the end result should look like; more or less like the still-life. But it is more interesting to look at paintings from someone's imagination, even if the painting isn't that good.
The still-lifes can be extremely uninteresting. If they are good, I can admire the person's technique, but if they are boring, it feels like a waste of time, both painting it, and looking at it. One drawing I saw in a gallery makes me think of how pointless some art can be. The show in the gallery was a collection of one artist's lifetime of artwork. Anyway, the picture was a pencil drawing of a wire hanger, just the plain hanger outline, on blank white paper. There was no shadowing, no colors, nothing interesting about it. Except that it was priced at either $1000 or $4000, I can't remember which. The rest of the show was pretty much like that; modern art at it's worst, in my opinion. A giant red canvas, a blue dot on a white background, and so on. And it was all priced in the several thousand area. I really don't understand that type of art or why the prices are so inflated. That's why I prefer even a poorly done painting that someone clearly spent some time and energy on, over modern art (maybe it's postmodern, I don't know).

No comments: