Sunday, January 22, 2006

Next Project Ramblings


I'm trying to decide what my next knitting project should be. I'm thinking Zigzag, from Knitty, something from the Scarf style book, or a lace pattern, since I never did a complex lace pattern before. I was thinking about how long some of the cheaper yarns last, and wondering if it was worth it to use them. I don't want to spend all this time working on a project, to have the yarn wear out after I wear it a couple of times. For really complex patterns, that will take me months, it probably would be better to use a good yarn. Then for simple stockinette patterns, that I can crank out, I would use cheaper yarns. I wish I could afford to use luxury yarns on everything, but if I pace myself and save my money for certain projects, I could get good yarn every once in a while. Also, if I did get really good yarn, and even knitted something simple, I could unravel it in a couple of years and knit something else. I read somewhere that women in the past would knit sweaters for their kids, then unravel them every few years when the kids grew. You definately couldn't do that with cheap acrylic yarn. So, I guess I will do a more simple pattern, with moderately priced yarn, for now.

No comments: