Friday, February 24, 2006

The Happy Hooker

I finally got a copy of Stitch & Bitch Crochet, and the projects seem pretty good. Right away, there were a bunch that I want to do, and I can see ways to change them a little, so they're more like what I want. I started on the Skull Potholder, to learn how to change colors with crochet. It's easy, but the carried along color isn't as well hidden as it is with knitting. A lot of patterns call for cheaper yarns, and the weight of the yarn is also given in the instructions, which is helpful. I see a lot of patterns that I really like, but they call for really expensive yarn, and it's hard to know which cheaper yarn would make a good substitution.
The next thing I want to do is make the one skein scarf, which looks like it'd be really fast. Some of the other more involved projects, like the sweaters and shrugs, look good, but I'd have to wait to buy the yarn. I'll have to stick with small projects for a while until I can get more money. I'm almost halfway done with the Ripple Scarf, which the first crochet project that I started, from a crocheted scarf book. For a while, I had trouble with the decreases, because the book doesn't include instructions for it. But it working out now. Crochet definately seems easier, but I think knowing how to knit helps.

No comments: