Friday, September 02, 2005

Food Addictions


I have been exercising regularly now for about 2 years now, and have gotten in a lot better shape and lost weight. Before that I was just doing the bare minimum, because I didn’t think it was that important. But, now I realize how vigilant I have to be just to stay healthy. Nothing is more important, since the quality of our lives is the basis of everything else. I feel wrong now if I don’t exercise, just like eating too much junk food. I was going to the gym, but haven’t for a while. I miss going though, because it felt psychologically as if I exercised correctly. When I exercise on my own, it doesn’t seem as valid, because I’m not using machines, I guess.

One thing I read in an Oprah magazine, for some unknown reason, was some secrets of hers to not gain weight. It was eating jello or nonfat yogurt, or something else equally unappetizing, and pretending to herself that it was as good as a sundae. That whole way of dieting seems really sad, because it’s denying yourself something that really isn’t that bad. Unless you eat one every day, it seems like a minor thing. The effort to keep yourself away from sundaes seems greater than the damage they do. It made me think that a lot of other women have an uncontrollable desire for the sundae or other food, so much so, that they have to go to extreme lengths to convince themselves that replacement food tastes good or is satisfying, when it isn’t. But I guess it is stronger than some people can control, since we are biologically programmed to crave fat, and to store it in case of a famine.

No comments: