Friday, September 23, 2005

No Graphic Novel


I used pastels on this drawing. It was meant to be a flat, mosaic-like picture of a cornucopia. I think it turned out like I planned. I've been trying to work on a graphic novel, but it's harder than I expected. I'm not that good at drawing completely from memory and making it look professional. I noticed that especially when I draw people from memory, I tend to fall back on my preconcieved ideas from junior high. I know that's a common thing. You draw the face or body as how you think it looks, without paying attention to how it actually is. One example is putting the eyes at the top of the head, because that's where our attention usually goes. But they are in the center of the head in reality. So, the people I'm drawing look cartoonish and odd, but when I draw from life, they look more or less realistic. So it's kind of frustrating trying to draw specific scenes totally from my imagination. I guess that's good, though, because it's challenging.

No comments: