Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A Problematic Sweater


I just finished this. It turned out a little too big, but I don't want to redo it. The neckline and shoulder area are supposed to be more fitted. Instead the shoulders seem to stiffly hang off my arms, and won't contour to my arm. It doesn't necessarily look like that, but I can feel it fitting wrong. So, I'll just live with it. Once I try a pattern, I don't normally like to knit it again. I figure I learned what I could from it. The whole design of the sweater seems less interesting, because I know how the finished product is. With this sweater's pattern, it didn't turn out how it should, so I'd benefit from redoing the pattern. The original pattern called for a felted flower to be sewn onto the front, which I might do for another sweater, or a bag. One thing I discovered is that I've used the same type of yarn for every sweater I'd knit, Brown Sheep wool & mohair. I don't even like that yarn all that much, it is just the cheapest one available at the yarn store. The sweaters always turn out too bulky and seem stiff, and I think maybe it's because of the yarn. On my next sweater, I want to try either cotton or alpaca yarn. They might drape better, and would be a change.

No comments: