Thursday, September 08, 2005

Swimming at Night

I recently took some swimming lessons, as a beginner. I never learned how to swim as a kid, even though it seemed like I went to the pool all the time. I guess I was just hanging out in the pool. I always wanted to learn, but never did. So, I decided to learn as an adult and swim for the exercise. The first thing I realized is that it would take more than six lessons to get good. Another thing is that it is much harder than I expected, and I mean more strenuous. I felt like I could hardly breathe, and that was mostly from the exercise. The other hard part was being comfortable breathing in a rhythm and having my face in the water. It felt so unnatural, like I couldn't get enough air. Part of it was because it felt so strenuous. It is odd taking lessons, because there were usually kids classes at the same time as mine. The kids were more advanced swimmers than I was, which is kind of embarrasing.

No comments: