Monday, September 12, 2005

New Improved Artistic Idea


I decided to start a graphic novel, but I have to come up with the story. I’ve done some drawings about my dreams, so I thought maybe I could illustrate some of my more intense dreams. Some of them seem almost like an action movie, where I’m quickly trying to figure out or find something, while bloodthirsty people are chasing me. I think some of the stories could be interesting, if I develop the plots more. I want to make a change in my artwork, because it just isn’t working for me. I feel like I’m redoing the same ideas, and this might break me out of the routine. I was thinking about Robert Crumb’s comic books, and how he used his drawing to define the psychedelic era. I also like how he used humor to work through some of his own issues. I never really thought of graphic novels too much before, because I’d only seen those fantasy and sci-fi type comics, and I don’t like those. But they can be about anything, and don’t even have to look like a cartoon. I thought it might help with composition, because I would want the layout to look different than a regular cartoon, with white word bubbles and regular panels.
This is a picture of the nearby river at sunset, with trees in the background. It's done in crayon, so it was difficult to blend the reflected light of the sun into the water. I do like how bright crayons can be, and how cheap. I like them a lot better than pencils, even though it sometimes feels strange using kid's crayons. Anyway, I think I might sketch out some of the pages of the graphic novel in crayon, to see how the composition is. But first, I have to write the actual story.

No comments: